Hi! I’m Maddy, Sussex editor for Muddy Stilettos here to give you the insider scoop on this gorgeous county. Want to know the best baristas in Brighton, or which country pubs serve the most epic Yorkshires? You’re in the right place.
With over 20 years experience as a journalist under my leopardskin belt, I’ve worked for everyone from Grazia to the Daily Mirror and quaffed champers at every glamourous party I could get into along the way. So I’m really excited to help you discover all the stylish hidden gems and hot events that Sussex has to offer.
After living and working in London on magazines during the hedonistic late Nineties, I swapped the big smoke for the countryside 12 years ago and have never looked back. Now with a family, obligatory muddy 4×4 and slightly whiffy dog in tow, I’m here to scout out best boutiques, bars, food, interiors, and everything fun in between.
Sussex has it all – buzzy cities, chocolate box villages, great towns and some of the best beaches in the UK and I can’t wait to share them with you!
Muddy Sussex is, of course, part of Muddy Stilettos – which first tottered into the world in Summer 2011 as a bit of fun for the founder, Hero Brown over in Bucks & Oxon. The idea was a simple one: to write a witty but indispensable local guide to the very best restaurants, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events (whilst also perking up her social life). Along with Muddy Stilettos Sussex there are now 26 Muddy counties, all with a focus on the quirky, unique, cool and interesting; so no advertorial, no PR guff and a genuine, upbeat honesty.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from Muddy Sussex:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself, I let you know that’s the case.
- I don’t write advertorial. This means I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc. with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you on Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my fab-u-lous newsletter delivered to your inbox. I’d also love to hear your suggestions of places you love in your local area so please do get in touch. Great to have you on board!