Hey you! I’m Cathy, Muddy’s Sussex editor and I’m here with my ear to the South Downs and the cities, villages and towns and coast that surround to bring you the very best of our county.
I’ve been a journalist for (mumbles quickly) 15 years, working my way up from cub reporter to deputy editor of a national magazine, and writing for national broadsheets and women’s mags along the way! I’m also the author of four books, the most recent of which, Summer At Hollyhock House, is set in a rural idyll not unlike the quintessential Sussex village.
I grew up in Sussex, spending my childhood wandering the countryside and escaping down to Brighton or Worthing for sticky-floored clubbing in my teens. After stints in Hampshire, Bedfordshire and London I returned to my home county with two children and a lot of bikes in tow, and I’m as excited as you are to bring you the inside scoop and discover the very best bars, restaurants, walks, boutiques, day trips, family activities, interiors and events.
Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in Summer 2011 as a bit of fun for the founder, Hero Brown over in Bucks & Oxon. The idea was a simple one: to write a witty but indispensable local guide to the very best restaurants, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events (whilst also perking up her social life). Along with Muddy Stilettos Sussex there are now 24 Muddy counties, all with a focus on the quirky, unique, cool and interesting; so no advertorial, no PR guff and a genuine, upbeat honesty. As well as being an indispensable local guide, it’s also a platform for local businesses to get their message across and for us to see what an amazing and creative county we live in.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the site:
- For reviews I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself, I let you know that’s the case.
- I don’t write advertorial. This means I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at email@example.com.
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you on Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous newsletter delivered to your inbox! I’d also love to hear your suggestions of places you rate in your local area.